Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A little help from my friends and Google

There is a guest here this week that has challenged me in a good way. He has come to me everyday with the name of a place, trail, brook, or something and it didn't ring a bell or I had never heard of it.

Today was a tough one. He started out asking me about panning for gold. I immediately thought of a river over in Swiftwater/Bath area that is known as an excellent place to pan for gold. Then he said it is in Lincoln. At this point I already knew I had been stumped, but I was determined to find the answer. He wanted to know where Notch Brook was in Lincoln. He said it was mentioned in a State of NH website as a place to pan for gold. Sure enough there it was listed http://www.des.state.nh.us/factsheets/geo/geo-1.htm. I started to think of all the waterways in Lincoln and couldn't think of anything. Even though what you see in Lincoln is a small area, it is actually the 2ND largest town in the state of NH at 130.8 square miles behind Pittsburg.

I opened up my maps and could not find the brook. I then called my friends at the Mountain Wandered which is a great map/bookstore here in Lincoln. The girl there pulled out the USGS maps and could not find it. I finally tried a search in Google. The problem is that the word Notch and Brook is used quite frequently around here. Well there it was on the 3rd page. I saw the name Notch Brook together with some other geographical references. Notch Brook is on the North side of Mount Carrigain. It is closer to Crawford Notch than to Lincoln Woods. After studying the maps it was decided that he was better off driving out to Swiftwater and trying his luck there.

I forget how big Lincoln is at times and how much of it is actually part of the state of national forest. If you want to pan for gold while you are here I will be glad to send to some places. Its a way to do something different, stay cool, and most importantly, have fun.

No comments: