Saturday, August 25, 2012

Fall Is Almost Here!

Swamp Maple showing signs of Fall along Route 3 in Bethlehem, NH

Fall in the White Mountains is my favorite time of year.  I love the crisp nights followed by warm days.  As I have been driving around I have noticed a little bit of color creeping into the landscape.  Gone are the numerous shades of green while being replaced with a splash of yellow, red, or orange.   A yellow tree here. A red swamp maple there.  The change occurs slowly at first, then with the first frost will quicken the pace until the middle of October.  Leaf peepers marvel at the work of Mother Nature while others curse a sign that Winter is just around the corner.

I am often asked when is the peek of fall foliage here in the White Mountains.  To everyone it is different. Ask 10 people get 10 answers.  My idea of peak may be slightly different than yours.  Most people say Columbus Day is the peak, but based on what I know it tends to be around Sept 30 or Oct. 1.  


Here are some pictures that I took at one of my favorite places to photograph fall foliage that show the progression of the Fall Foliage.

All of the pictures below were taken at Beaver Pond Scenic Area located along Rte. 112 in Kinsman Notch which is located in the town of Woodstock, NH

Beaver Pond Sept. 18.



Beaver Pond Sept 18 #2


Beaver Pond Sept. 23



Beaver Pond Sept 30

Beaver Pond Sept 30 #2

No comments: